Hoisin Beef and Scallion Rolls
– 1 lb of London broil or flank steak, trimmed of fat
– 1/2 cup soy sauce
– 1/2 cup canola/vegetable oil
– 3 cloves garlic, minced
– 1/2 cup fresh ginger, minced
– 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper (or crushed black pepper), or to taste
– 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
– 1 bunch scallions, white and pale green parts only, julienned
– Heat the broiler. Pat the steak dry and grill it about 4 inches from the heat until medium rare, about 4-6 minutes per side.
– Chill it for 30 minutes or so for easier slicing, and then slice very thin across the grain of the meat and lay them on cutting board. Trim the slices to form approximately 2 x 4 inch strips.
– Brush a thin layer of hoisin sauce on each strip of beef and top with small bundle of scallion julienne at one end and roll it up.
– Arrange on trays, seam side down, chill, and then cover tightly with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until time to serve.